Human-Machine Interface Design
Improve the safety and productivity of the industrial work environment, establish a collaborative work atmosphere with our customers and colleagues, and maintain high integrity in all relationships.
- HCS and the ASM Consortium have published a new ASM Guideline document, Effective Operations Practices, available to the public on Amazon.com.
- HCS expanded its alarm rationalization projects with several U.S. refineries in 2019, with new projects scheduled for 2020.
- HCS completed a staffing assessment for all console and field operator positions for a Canadian refinery in 2019.
- HCS worked with five pipeline operating companies in 2019 to develop their new SCADA HMI design philosophy and style guide documents to better support controller situation awareness and consistency with the forthcoming revision to API 1165.
- HCS conducted controller workload assessments for several pipeline operating companies, based on PHMSA CRM regulation requirements.
- Peter Bullemer accepted the position as Partner Emeritus with Human Centered Solutions in 2019. A founding partner of Human Centered Solutions, Peter has continued to support project and marketing efforts in his new position.
Our team has a broad range of skills and experience, enabling us to provide each client with a customized scope of work unique to their requirements.
Our vision is to dramatically transform the nature of plant operations, improve the effectiveness of the business, and enhance the quality of life of the people who staff it.
Common in all of our work is the application of our knowledge of human factors, plant operations, industry standards, effective practices, regulatory requirements, and lessons learned from active research with the ASM Consortium as well as from incidents and near misses reports in the process industries.
What We Do
Human Centered Solutions is a human factors consulting company with expertise in developing solutions that address human needs and capabilities in the workplace.
Our core competency is the application of human factors principles and human-centered design methodologies to optimize the influence of culture, organizational structures, management systems and use of technology on operator and plant performance.
With our active involvement in ASM Consortium research, we also pioneer advances in effective application design and operations practices that we transition into the plant operations environment.
Recent ASM Activity
HCS is an active leader in the ASM Consortium Program.
HCS partners are currently leading a research project on the effective use of integrated trending in the operator HMI.
HCS has also performed significant roles in recent ASM research, including:
- Improving safety culture: Effective first-line supervision (pdf).
- Identifying & developing ASM competencies:
Situation awareness and overview displays (pdf).
Improving operator alarm flood responses (pdf).
- Identifying best practices for alarm rationalization
For more information on these projects or the ASM Consortium, please contact us.