Our publications contain key understandings on industry and operational problems and illustrate how innovative solutions derive from the application of human factors and human-centered design methodologies.
These works are available for public review to share lessons learned, stimulate public discussion and hopefully enhance our industries’ ability to create a safe, productive and satisfying work environment.
- Common Operations Failure Modes in the Process Industries.
- Better Metrics for Improving Human Reliability in Process Safety.
- CCPS Process safety metrics review: Considerations from ASM perspective.
- Achieving a Paradigm Shift in Production Effectiveness: Wintershall’s Migration to Remote Controlled Operations.
- Improving Operator Performance with Human Factors.
- Abnormal Situation Management: NOT by New Technology ALONE.
- Advanced Technology in Complex Systems: Automation, People, and Culture.
- Effective Procedural Practices: ASM Consortium Guidelines Book.
- Properly Handle Abnormal Situations: Providing Effective Operating Procedures is Crucial to Success
- Common Procedural Execution Failure Modes during Abnormal Situations.
- A Study of Effective Procedural Practices in Refining and Chemical Operations.
- Critiquing Team Procedure Execution.
- Situation Awareness for Refining and Petrochemical Process Operators – Not by Technology Alone.
- Communication and Coordination Failures in the Process Industries.
- Tackle Abnormal Situation Management with Better Training.
- The Control Room of the Future – A Smarter Reality.
- Human Factors and the Design of Control Rooms.
- Human-Centered Design of Operations: From the Inside Out.
- The Interaction between Large Screen Technologies, Overview Displays & Effective Control Room Layout.
- Effective Control Center Design for a Better Operating Environment.
- Designing for Abnormal Situation Management.
Human-Machine Interface Design
- Effective Console Operator HMI Design: ASM Consortium Guidelines Book, Revised 2nd Edition.
- ASM Guidelines: Effective Operator Display Design – Myths, Misunderstandings, & Missed Opportunities.
- Establishing Human Performance Improvements and Economic Benefit for a Human-Centered Operator Interface: An Industrial Evaluation.
- Supporting Operator Situation Awareness with Overview Displays: A Series of Studies on Information vs. Visualization Requirements.
- Impact of Functional and Schematic Overview Displays on Console Operators’ Situation Awareness.
- Why gray backgrounds for DCS operating displays? The human factors rationale for an ASM Consortium recommended practice.
- ASM Compliant HMI Graphics Design.
- An Effective DeltaV Operator Interface for Sunrise.
- Supporting Key Console Operator Interactions through the Control System Interface.
- Direct Perception Display for Rule-Based Behavior: Supporting Power Plant Startup with a “Lattice” Display.
- Best Practices in Effectively Deploying Mobile Computing Devices for Field Operations: A Survey of Refining & Petrochemicals.
- The MPC Elucidator: A Case Study in the Design for Human-Automation Interaction.
- Collaborative Decision Support for Operations Personnel.
Alarm System Design
- Effective Alarm Management Practices: ASM Consortium Guidelines Book.
- Human-centered Alarm Sounds for Multi-console Control Rooms™.
- Plant Assesses Alarm Displays.
- Alarm Management: Wasn’t that solved already years ago?.
- Improving Operator Alarm Flood Responses: Alternative Alarm Presentation Techniques.
- Achieving Effective Alarm System Performance: Results of ASM Consortium Benchmarking against the EEMUA Guide for Alarm Systems.
- Human Performance Models for Response to Alarm Notifications in the Process Industries: An Industrial Case Study.
- After the Alarm Rationalization: Managing the DCS Alarm System.
- User-Initiated Notification: A Concept for Aiding the Monitoring Activities of Process Control Operators.
- Early Event Detection: A Prototype Implementation.